Saturday, September 6, 2014

Giving Back and my Personal Challenge

I open today's blog post with a picture that means a lot to me.  A picture of my dad holding my daughter just a few hours after she was born.


This picture shows the beginning of a truly special relationship between my daughter and her Grampy.  When she was only 2, my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Through his battle with the disease, she provided a bright light.  They would read stories, watch funny Simon's Cat videos (if you aren't familiar with Simon's Cat, check him out on YouTube, very funny), and playing games.  Sometimes they did this at home, and sometimes from the hospital bed.  No matter where they played, it was special to both of them.  My dad passed on April 6, 2013. 

Even before my dad's diagnosis, I was involved in the Canadian Cancer Society.  I believe in their programs, services, information resources, advocacy efforts and research.  If you want to read more about why I'm passionate about this organization, check out my previous blog post on the subject:  


My dad's diagnosis prompted me to "ramp up" my efforts in fundraising for the Canadian Cancer Society.

I am participating in the 2015 Saint John/KV Relay for Life in support of the Canadian Cancer Society.  As part of my fundraising efforts, I am asking people to sponsor me and if I reach my $2000 goal, I will face my greatest fear - heights.

Visit my personal fundraising page to find out more about how I will face my fear, and consider sponsoring me for this challenge.  All proceeds will go to the Saint John/KV Relay for Life in support of the Canadian Cancer Society.


And for anyone interested in Survivor, I'm putting on a Survivor Pool for this season of Survivor which premieres September 24.  The castaways cost $10 each and you can purchase as many as you like.  The prize will be 50% of the funds raised.  If you are interested in participating in this fundraiser, please email me at Katie_NB@hotmail.com and let me know how many castaways you would like.  Your contestant will be randomly chosen for you on September 22 or whenever the pool is full (which ever happens first), and you will be notified by email who you have.

Finally, I will also be having another Email Bingo game beginning Monday, September 22.  Cards are $5 each and the prize will be 50% of the funds raised.  You are welcome to purchase as many cards as you like.  Your cards will be emailed to you.  For the week of September 22 and September 29, 5 numbers a day will be sent out (business days only).  Beginning the week  of October 6 , 2 numbers a day will be sent until we have a "Bingo".  Players have until 4 PM (Atlantic = 3PM Eastern) each day to claim their Bingo.  If there are multiple winners, the prize will be split between them. 

Money for the Survivor pool and Bingo can be sent by e-transfer to Katie_NB@hotmail.com or, email me to make arrangements for me to pick up your donation.  Please note that you must pay before the beginning of the Bingo game, and by September 24 for the Survivor Pool.  The prizes for both the Pool and Bingo will be sent by e-transfer unless you make other arrangements with me.

I appreciate that we all of causes close to our heart, and I appreciate that it's not possible to donate to every cause out there, but I wanted to share some of my efforts.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your Dad. His light shines on in you and your daughter.

    I think that it is so great that you are bringing attention to this great cause and I shared about your initiative with my fans. I wish you all the success in your efforts.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. The loss of my dad has been difficult. I miss him every day, but I see so much of him in my daughter. I also see a lot of him in my daughter.

    This experience has really made me even more passionate about the cancer cause. I am hoping to help others that may go through this experience, and I hope that this support can help others have better outcomes.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

7 Tips for Summer Travel on a Budget

Winter is over (although, I know for some, it feels like it's still here).  We are now approaching summer.  We're on the "downw...