Monday, May 11, 2015

May is Preeclampsia Awareness Month



I know, I've written about this topic a few times before, but I also know that the more I share my story, the more I help spread awareness.

I am a HELLP syndrome survivor.  HELLP syndrome is a severe form of preeclampsia that can be potentially fatal for mom and baby.  I am happy to say that my daughter was born healthy, and I, after treatment, also ended up OK. 

The signs and symptoms of HELLP syndrome are sometimes ignored or not recognized - in my own case, I chalked them up to "typical pregnancy symptoms".

Some of the symptoms include:

- Headache
- Nausea/vomiting
- Swelling
- Discomfort in abdominal or chest - upper right side.
- Pain in the shoulder and/or when breathing deeply
- Change in vision
- Bleeding
- High protein in urine
- High blood pressure

I did not experience all of these symptoms, but I had some.  Unfortunately I ignored them as I thought they were typically pregnancy pains and discomforts and my doctor did not seem concerned.

Read more about my own experience and how you can learn more here: http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/family/pregnancy/20150505/signs-of-hellp-preeclampsia

Have your own experience with preeclampsia or HELLP that you would like to share?  Feel free to share your story in the comments below.  

Minimally, please consider sharing the signs and symptoms with your friends and family.  Awareness is key!

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Tips for Summer Travel on a Budget

Winter is over (although, I know for some, it feels like it's still here).  We are now approaching summer.  We're on the "downw...