Friday, December 30, 2016

We Can't Do It All

I learned an important lesson over the last month.  As many of you know, I work full time, I have a busy little girl involved in a lot of activities, we've been renovating our home, and I'm a part-time MBA student.



I had been managing all of my commitments until I got closer to Christmas.  My workload suddenly exploded and I was in a course that was extremely time consuming.  I convinced myself I was fine and that this was temporary and this would pass.  But then I wound up in the Emergency room.  Completely run down.

I think many of us can struggle with trying to be "all things to all people".  And I have even found myself preaching to others that you need to learn to say "no", and that you can't please everyone.  And yet, here I was, at the hospital, having been my own worst enemy.

Upon my return to work a co-worker said to me "You need to start taking care of yourself.  Your daughter needs her mom.".  Of course, I thought, that's common sense!   And yet, I wasn't following that idea.

So I made a decision for myself, I was going to make more of an effort to take care of me.  More "me time".  I took a semester off from school, and I'm learning to say "no" to things that I can't manage.

Do you make time for yourself?  What do you do to help yourself relax?  Feel free to share in the comment section, or come over to our Facebook page and tell us: https://www.facebook.com/overtiredmama/



4 comments:

  1. It's hard to say no, even if you know you should for your own well being. That's part of the reason I've been on the fence for enrolling for my MBA, between work, family and E's therapy and activities, it would leave me no time for Disney ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a challenge tryimg to figure out how you will manage it all. For me, the decision to go back really relied on support from family, both moral and with childcare at times.

      Delete
  2. Good for you!! In the scheme of life, blogging is not that important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes we just need a little reminder about what is important in life. :)

      Delete

7 Tips for Summer Travel on a Budget

Winter is over (although, I know for some, it feels like it's still here).  We are now approaching summer.  We're on the "downw...