Wednesday, June 18, 2014

That's right... I'm Pro-Vaccine!!

I've written this post in my head about a million times, just never physically done it.  But here I am, I'm saying it... I'm pro-vaccine.

I've always held back my own views on vaccination for fear of offending someone, but, at the same time, I've had acquaintances say to me (in the most passive aggressive way... so as not to hurt my feelings) that I am harming my child by having her vaccinated.  They've shared their own "research", books they've read and articles as to why I should believe what they do.  I appreciate their passion, but just as I can probably say nothing that would change their mind on this topic, they will not change mine.

I'm not going to pretend I'm the perfect parent.  I know there are things I can do better.  But one thing I'm sure I'm doing right for my daughter, is having her vaccinated.  I'm very comfortable with the amount of research that has been done in to vaccines.  I have not seen enough research to the contrary that will convince me otherwise.  And suffice it to say that a book by a celebrity, or some dis-proven research by a "doctor" is definitely not going to change my mind.  Do I recognize that people have reactions to vaccines?  Absolutely.  Do I think the risks outweigh the benefits for us?  Yes.

After having conversations with people from countries where they don't have the same access to vaccines that we do, after knowing people under going cancer treatments and thus having compromised immune systems, or even hearing stories from parents' whose children contracted Whooping Cough - these are real life examples of just some reasons I am happy with my choice to vaccinate.

I am not suggesting people are good or bad parents based on whether they vaccinate or not.  I believe that we all make choices based on the information that we have and do what we believe is in the best interest of our children.  I simply encourage people to be well informed, and look for well researched and well documented information.

So go ahead, tell me about government conspiracies to infect us all with ailments through vaccines, tell me about "Big Pharma" and their plan to get rich, tell me I've been brain-washed by "the man".   In the end, I am happy to have my child vaccinated because I believe I'm providing her with the best possible protection for her health.



For more information about immunization, I strongly encourage people to visit the Public Health Agency of Canada Website: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/index-eng.php  and UR Immunized: http://www.urimmunized.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Tips for Summer Travel on a Budget

Winter is over (although, I know for some, it feels like it's still here).  We are now approaching summer.  We're on the "downw...